In this American-style cupcake recipe, created to celebrate the 4th of July, SKIPPY® Peanut Butter is paired with chocolate to create a delicious, indulgent treat that the kids will love. This recipe has been made in collaboration with SKIPPY®Peanut Butter.
#Skippy4July – America’s Favourite
Millions of Americans enjoy SKIPPY® Peanut Butter daily and it’s our turn in the UK to ‘Go Nuts’ for SKIPPY® Peanut Butter. You might have seen the TV advert recently, featuring a fun-filled, daredevil peanut butter character appealing to children and families.
Celebrate the American Independence Day with the whole family with America’s favourite smooth and creamy SKIPPY® Peanut Butter, also available in Extra Crunchy variety, with larger peanut pieces in a delicious creamy mix.
SKIPPY® Peanut Butter is made from the finest American peanuts that have been finely ground, resulting in a nut-packed taste, creamy texture and melt in the mouthfeel. This smooth texture makes SKIPPY® Peanut Butter easy to bake and cook with like I’ve done with these American-style SKIPPY® Peanut Butter and chocolate swirl cupcakes.
Americans do love their peanut butter and as such, they enjoy some of the most delicious peanut butter on the market. SKIPPY® Peanut Butter is made only with high-quality peanuts sourced from the USA, just one of the reasons the taste is so authentic!
SKIPPY® Peanut Butter (RRP £2.40 per 340g jar) is now widely available in Smooth and Extra Crunchy varieties, on sale in major supermarkets including Sainsbury’s, Morrisons, Costco, International section of Tesco and Ocado.
For the SKIPPY® Peanut Butter & Chocolate Swirl Cupcakes
- 150 grams unsalted butter
- 150 grams caster or granulated sugar
- 150 grams self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp SKIPPY® Peanut Butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp full-fat milk
For the Skippy® Peanut Butter & Chocolate Swirl Frosting
- 200 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 100 grams SKIPPY® Peanut Butter
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 600 grams icing sugar
- 3 tbsp full-fat milk
- 80 grams dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- mini marshmallows
- peanut butter chips
- milk chocolate chips
- mixing bowl – one large one small
- 12-hole cupcake tin
- paper cupcake cases
- handheld mixer
- measuring spoons
- 2 x dessert spoons
- piping bag and large star nozzle, for decorating
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, with a little flour and beat well.
- Add the remaining flour, salt and sunflower oil and stir until well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly into two bowls. Add peanut butter to one bowl and cocoa powder and a little milk to the second.
- Spoon the mixtures into 12 cupcake cakes.
- Use a toothpick to swirl the two flavours together.
- Bake at 180 C/ 160 C fan for 20-25 minutes. Frost and decorate when cooled.
About SKIPPY® Peanut Butter
SKIPPY® Peanut Butter has a US heritage spanning more than 80 years: in 1933, Joseph Rosenfield changed the formula for peanut butter to create SKIPPY® Peanut Butter, which was less sticky and longer-lasting – no longer would peanut butter stick to the roof of your mouth!
Protein is important in our daily diets, and SKIPPY® Peanut Butter is both delicious and a good source of protein (as well as being high in Oleic Acid – good fats) providing 22.1g per 100g. SKIPPY® Peanut Butter makes an excellent PB&J sandwich too; a tasty and healthy lunch my children love.
These SKIPPY® Peanut Butter and chocolate swirl cupcakes were inspired by my own childhood love of peanut butter and chocolate. As a child growing up in Canada, we used to make s’mores using peanut butter, chocolate chips, graham crackers and marshmallows, and that flavour, to me, is the most nostalgic way to eat peanut butter.
I realise now that the way I was taught to make s’mores is not the usual way (seriously, the next time you make them try spreading your graham crackers with some SKIPPY® Peanut Butter – how else do you get the chocolate chips to stay put? Trust me.
What’s your favourite way to bake with SKIPPY® Peanut Butter? Let me know in the comments!
SKIPPY® Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cupcakes
for the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 180C/ 160C fan and line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, with a spoonful of the flour, and mix well.
- Add the remaining flour, salt and sunflower oil. Stir well.
- Divide the cake batter into two bowls.
- Add the SKIPPY® Peanut Butter to one bowl, and the cocoa powder and milk to the other. Stir until well incorporated.
- Using two dessert spoons, spoon both mixtures into the cupcake cakes.
- Use a cocktail stick to swirl the batters together.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Leave on wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of barely simmering water. Cool.
- Mix together the butter, peanut butter, icing sugar and milk until light and fluffy.
- Remove 1/3 of the frosting mixture and add the melted, cooled chocolate. Stir well, adding a little extra milk if needed to reach the desired consistency.
- Place the frostings in a dual frosting piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle.
- Pipe and decorate as desired.
This is a sponsored recipe post in collaboration with SKIPPY® Peanut Butter, although all thoughts and opinions expressed are our own. Thank you for supporting the brands who make it possible for me to do what I love: mess up my kitchen and share recipe stories.