A simple mashed potatoes recipe in collaboration with Co-op Irresistible.
A bowlful of creamy mashed potatoes, is, in my humble opinion, one of the finest winter comfort foods out there. Pasta comes a close second. I’ve just come back from another amazing trip to the Caribbean – straight from the oven into the cold, Shetland freezer. Now I want to eat all of the carbs while curling up on the couch in my PJs binge-watching the episodes of The Walking Dead I missed while I was away.
Not all potatoes are the same. Waxy ones like Charlotte or Jersey Royals hold their shape when cooked and so make for perfect baking potatoes, while new potatoes are ideal in salads or for boiling while. Floury potatoes like the Lilly variety make for the perfect mashing potato with its rich, buttery taste.
This Christmas, the Co-op has launched their first Irresistible potato pack featuring the Lilly variety of potatoes. Retailing at only £1.59 for a 1.5 kg bag (serving six) these British grown potatoes are the perfect ingredient to add the ultimate comfort food dishes to your winter dining table.
These cream cheese and chive mashed potatoes are so simple to make and pair really well with some simply grilled meat (Aberdeen Angus rump steak, in this case), a simple cream sauce and steamed greens.
I’ve used some cream cheese with chives for this recipe, as there were very little fresh chives left in my garden this time of year. You could always use regular cream cheese and fresh chives instead, opting for the lower calorie version if you’re looking for a lower fat option.
There’s no extra butter needed for these potatoes as they naturally have a rich, buttery taste, but the cream cheese just takes them to the next level of comfort-food awesomeness.
To accompany my mashed potatoes I grilled some Aberdeen Angus rump steaks (also from the Co-op), deglazing the pan with some double cream while the steaks rest. A quick and easy mid-week dinner ready in under half an hour; perfect for these incredibly cold days.
What’s your favourite way to make and serve mashed potatoes? Let me know in the comments!
Cream Cheese & Chive Mashed Potatoes
- 1.5 kg Co-op Irresistible Lilly Mashing Potatoes
- 170 grams cream cheese with chives
- 80 ml milk
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- fresh chives snipped, to garnish (optional)
- Peel potatoes and cut them into 1.5-inch cubes. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and fill with cold water, just enough to cover.
- Add a sprinkle of sea salt and bring the potatoes to a simmer. Simmer gently for 10-12 minutes, until fork-tender.
- Carefully drain the cooked potatoes in a colander and return to the hot pan on the still-warm (switched off) hob. Allow the steam to escape and the potatoes to dry off for a few minutes, shaking the pan occasionally so they don't burn.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until coarse and add the cream cheese and milk. Use a hand blender to whip the potatoes until they are light and creamy. Season well with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately, garnished with freshly snipped chives, if desired, or keep warm until needed.
This is a sponsored post in collaboration with Co-op Irresistible although, as always, all thoughts and opinions expressed are our own. Thank you for supporting the brands who make it possible for me to do what I love: mess up my kitchen and share recipe stories.
Have you made this recipe?