This take on the classic slow cooker Cuban chicken recipe combines the zing of orange and lime with the warmth of smoked paprika, to create a light summery dish. Serve with a green side salad and brown rice. In collaboration with Florida 4 Less.
Ok, I have to admit it. I really am quite a lazy cook. I do love cooking and experimenting with new flavours and techniques, but as a busy Mum of three juggling two jobs, a hardcore exercise routine and the desire to go adventuring outdoors every time the sun comes out, I often like quick to prepare no-fuss meals.
This recipe is one of those meals. The ingredients for this slow-cooked Cuban-inspired chicken can get plonked into the slow cooker first thing in the morning before heading out for a day’s adventuring with the family in the full, glorious Shetland sun (when it shines it shines!).
Upon our return, wind-swept and exhausted with big smiles on our faces, we are met at the door with the aroma of citrus and roasting chicken wafting from the slow cooker.
This is my take on the classic slow cooker Cuban chicken recipe. Combining the zing of orange and lime with the warmth of smoked paprika and toasted cumin, this light summery dish can be served with a green side salad and brown rice or crusty bread to help soak up the juices.
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Florida 4 Less, and you can also find the ingredients and instructions over on their Secret Florida blog. Do check out their other gorgeous Floridian recipes too, including an absolutely lush Key Lime Pie and a cooling Strawberry Mojito!
Slow Cooker Cuban Chicken
- 8 large chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves peeled but left whole
- 125 ml freshly squeezed orange juice (2.5 large oranges)
- 125 ml freshly squeezed lime juice (about 5 limes)
- 1 large onion finely sliced
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 green pepper chopped
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- spring onions chopped, to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over a medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with plenty of salt and pepper and brown on both sides in the oil.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place into the bowl of your slow cooker along with the whole garlic cloves and chopped green pepper.
- Drain off most of the chicken fat, leaving about 1 tbsp of liquid in the saute pan. Fry the onion for a few minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the whole cumin seeds and fry for a further minute.
- Add the dried oregano, smoked paprika and stir well.
- Add the brown sugar and orange and lime juices and bring to the boil, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Boil for one minute and season to taste.
- Pour the liquid over the top of the chicken thighs in the slow cooker.
- Pop the lid on, and leave on low for 5 hours.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve the chicken with plenty of brown rice to soak up the juices.
Products from Amazon.co.uk
OTHER SLOW COOKER CHICKEN RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
You might also like this white chicken chili recipe from Recipes from a Pantry.
Have you made this recipe?
Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary was compensated for her time and ingredients used in creating this recipe with money and a hamper of American candy. All thoughts and opinions expressed are our own.