In collaboration with Sainsbury’s British Gems Baby New Potatoes.
We have had such a wonderful summer so far! The sun’s been shining brightly, the wind has died down and *fingers crossed* the midges seem to be keeping at bay! It’s been perfect barbecue weather!
For our latest barbecue, we made some simple pork skewers and served them a kohlrabi coleslaw (recipe to follow soon!) and a rather fantastic (if I do say so myself!) roasted garlic and grilled baby new potato salad.
I am such a fan of potato salad and one always has to appear at every family barbecue. This time, though I jazzed things up a bit with the addition of roasted garlic. I love garlic and roasting it transforms it’s otherwise pungent flavour into a deliciously sweet ingredient, perfect for potato salads.
New, salad and baby potato season is in full swing right now and returning to Sainsbury’s stores this season is their Taste the Difference British Gems baby potatoes, which I used to create this delicious potato salad with.
Fresh from the field to store in just 48 hours, British Gem baby potatoes are the ‘perline’ variety and are exclusive to Sainsbury’s. Available in 1kg packs or loose, British Gems are ideal for boiling or steaming, roasting and even baked. Crush, dice, slice or roast British Gems taste delicious. What’s more, they taste even better with their skins left on, so preparation is minimal- just a quick wash in cold water.
Their distinctive buttery flavour and golden colour make British Gems the perfect potatoes to take over from Jersey Royals during the summer months. Sainsbury’s British Gems are grown by British growers, freshly dug every day before being washed and packed and making their way to Sainsbury’s stores within 48 hours.
These potatoes taste utterly divine steamed or boiled and served simply with a little sea salt. Incredibly moreish!
You can save time with this recipe by boiling an entire 1 kg bag of potatoes in one go for dinner the night before, saving half making for potato salad the next day and eating the other half with your dinner. Roast your garlic too, the night before when it’s cooler, and leave the flavours of the potato salad dressing to infuse over night.
Then, all you need to do is halve the cooked, cooled new potatoes lengthwise, brush with a little oil and grill them to make lovely char lines. Do this before you put your meat or main dish on to cook and that way the potatoes will have time to cool down before you mix them with the dressing and the remaining ingredients.
Then, all you need to do is sit in the garden and enjoy your meal in the sun!
British Gems are available in Sainsbury’s stores from May until the end of August. Enter the giveaway below to win a £10 Sainsbury voucher to spend towards some British Gems potatoes (or anything else you want!). What’s your favourite new potato recipe? Let me know in the comments!
Don’t forget to check out Sainsbury’s recipe pages for some potato inspiration!
Roasted Garlic & Grilled Baby New Potato Salad
- 500 grams Sainsbury's British Gems Baby New Potatoes
- 6 large garlic cloves unpeeled
- olive oil
- 50 grams mayonnaise
- 50 grams plain natural yogurt
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 5 spring onions whites only, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chives finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsely finely chopped
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the Sainsbury's British Gems New Potatoes according to the packet instructions. Drain and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180 C (fan) and place the unpeeled garlic cloves in a small ovenproof dish. Pour in just enough olive oil to cover the garlic cloves. Pop the lid on the dish (or tightly cover with aluminium foil) and roast in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes. Alternatively, wrap the separated garlic cloves in foil and BBQ for 15-20 minutes.
- When the garlic is cooked, remove from the oven and leave the lid on while the garlic cools completely.
- Halve the cooked new potatoes lengthwise and brush the cut sides with a little of the garlic-infused olive oil.
- Heat a grill pan to a high temperature on the hob and place the sliced new potatoes, cut side down, on the lines so that they grill nicely. Leave, without touching, for 6-7 minutes to get the lines. Alternately, do this on the BBQ. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Mix together the mayonnaise and yogurt. Squeeze in the roasted garlic using the back of a fork to mash everything together nicely.
- Add 1 tbsp of the garlic infused olive oil and season well to taste.
- Quarter or halve the grilled new potatoes and place into a bowl. Add the celery, spring onions, chives and parsley. Pour over the dressing and toss gently to coat. Taste for seasoning again and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with more parsley and chives and serve!
New Potato, Caramelised Onion, Rosemary & Gruyere Pizza
Broad Bean, Feta & New Potato Filo Tart
Oven-baked Mini Spanish Omelettes
Cullen Skink – A Traditional Scottish Soup
Easy Spanish Tortilla with British Gems
Cheesy Cauliflower and Potato Bake with Spinach
Chilli, Green Bean & Potato Salad
Skinny Haddock, Bacon & Mushroom Chowder
Curried Potato Salad
Brazilian Gaucho Potato Salad
Potato Canapes with Bacon & Asparagus
Honey Mustard Sausage & Potato BBQ Skewers
BBQ MAIN COURSE IDEAS
SHOP THIS POST
For your chance to win a £10 Sainsbury’s Gift Card enter using the Rafflecopter form below. Come back and tweet about the giveaway every day for more chances to win!
TERMS & CONDITIONS
This giveaway is open to UK entries only. Entrants must be age 18 or over. The winner will need to respond within 30 days of being contacted; failure to do this may result in another winner being selected.
The prize is offered and provided by Sainsbury’s. The prize is to win a £10 Sainsbury’s Gift Card. There is no cash alternative and the prize is not transferable.
There is no entry fee and no purchase is necessary to enter this giveaway.
The promoter (Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary) reserves the right to cancel or amend the giveaway and these terms and conditions without notice.
Entry into our giveaways will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
If you need some help using Rafflecopter, here’s a quick clip to show you how. Rafflecopter will pick the winner at random from all the entries received. I will be verifying entries. Any automated entries or those who have claimed they have made the mandatory blog post comment and really haven’t will be disqualified. It’s mandatory! Please make sure your comment is eight words or longer or Google views it as spam and this negatively affects my spam score. All entries with comments fewer than the mandatory 8 words will be disqualified and deleted.
Closing date is midnight (that’s 00:00 hours, 12 am on Sunday night/Monday morning) on Monday 14 August 2017 (GMT). The winner will be announced afterwards.
This is a commissioned recipe in collaboration with Sainsbury’s. Thank you for supporting the brands who make it possible for me to do what I love: mess up my kitchen and share recipe stories.