I recently had the pleasure of attending a Cheesemaking Day at the premises of the most northerly UK cheese producer – Shetland Cheese Ltd. on the west side of Shetland. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience which you can read all about on my Taste of Shetland post.
Lunch was provided on the day and this is where I tried their award winning St. Ninians soft cheese for the first time. What a superb, creamy delicious cheese it is too. This cheese won the Bronze award in the British Cheese Awards 2013. I couldn’t leave their premises without taking one home with me (and some of their Monterey Mild for grilled cheese sandwich purposes!)
A few days later, come lunch time, I found I had some two-day-old home made sourdough bread needing used up. A quick inspection of the refrigerator contents came up with the ingredients for bruschetta, and I thought I’d experiment with the St. Ninians cheese and some smoked Maldon sea salt I’d recently been sent to try out.
This recipe is what I came up with. The combination of ripe, juicy tomatoes, garlic, red onion, basil and St. Ninians cheese is absolutely wonderful and the smoked sea salt takes it to a whole new level. I know this smoked sea salt is going to feature quite frequently in my future recipes. I love the depth of flavour it imparts to a meal. I’m going to have to convince our local wholefoods shop to start stocking it!
Maldon was hosting a #FlavourofSpring competition in March and they were sending out samples of their products for bloggers to play with. Unfortunately mine didn’t get delivered until well after the competition closed, but here’s my Flavour of Spring post nonetheless.
I am sharing this recipe with four blogging challenges this month. First there’s April’s Family Foodies, co-hosted by Louisa over at Eat Your Veg and Vanesther over at Bangers & Mash. This month’s theme is all about healthy snacks, and this recipe certainly would make a healthy snack or quick lunch.
Secondly there is Veg Box, co-hosted by Tina at The Spicy Pear and Nanya at Citrus Spice UK. This month’s theme is onions.
Lastly, I am linking up with Javelin Warrior’s fantastic Made with Love, Monday’s challenge, a round up of made-from-scratch and made-with-love recipes.
Bruschetta with St. Ninians Soft Cheese & Smoked Sea Salt
- 235 grams fresh ripe tomatoes deseeded and chopped
- 30 grams red onion finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- smoked sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- handful fresh basil leaves torn
- 100 grams St. Ninians soft cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 80 grams baby leaf salad to serve
- fresh basil leaves to garnish
This recipe card may contain affiliate ingredient and equipment links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Combine tomatoes, red onion, garlic, olive oil and torn basil leaves together in a small bowl. Season with smoked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Lightly toast the sourdough bread and lightly butter one side, or if you have a grill like the Tefal Optigrill, butter both sides of the bread and grill until toasted, about 4 minutes.
- Top each slice of sourdough bread with 1/4 of the tomato mixture.
- Arrange small slices of the St. Ninians soft cheese over the top of the tomato mixture and pop under a grill until it starts to melt.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve with a fresh babyleaf salad.