In collaboration with Tasty, Easy Lamb.
Stew and dumplings take me right back to my rural Canadian childhood. I grew up on the stuff, and the dumpling recipe I’ve shared here is a slight adaptation to the one that my mother used to make for us as kids. The ultimate comfort food that my own children now love too.
I’ve made my hearty winter-warmer stew with cubed lamb shoulder and kept the ingredients list fairly simple – chunky carrots and neeps a little bit of garlic and an onion are enough to impart a gorgeous flavour to the dish. I’ve also added some lamb ribs to this recipe, but that’s an optional extra. I like the extra meatiness the ribs add to the dish with their bones and fat content.
There’s something intensely satisfying about a stew with dumplings, isn’t there, especially after a bitterly cold winter’s day like the ones we’ve had lately. The dumplings themselves look really pretty all puffed out on the top of the stew too, wouldn’t you agree?
They’re remarkably easy to make as well. Just a few ingredients stirred up in a bowl and then drop the mixture onto the top of the simmering stew. Pop the lid on, wait 15 more minutes and dinner’s ready!
You may notice I’ve omitted potatoes from my recipe. If I’m to be honest, as much of a potato-lover that I am I don’t like them in my stews. I prefer to add carrots and swedes, and perhaps the occasional parsnip if I have any needing used up. I find that the dumplings do a great job of fulfilling the carbohydrate component of this dish instead, but feel free to add potatoes if that’s your thing, just add a little extra stock to compensate.
What’s your favourite winter warmer recipe? Do you have one that takes you back to your childhood?
Tasty Easy Lamb Stew with Herbed Dumplings
for the tasty easy lamb stew
- 50 grams plain flour
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 500 grams cubed lamb shoulder
- 500 grams lamb ribs optional
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil divided
- 1 large brown onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots coarsely chopped
- 1 medium swede peeled and cubed
- 1 litre lamb stock homemade or from a stock cube
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Place flour in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge the cubed lamb shoulder in the seasoned flour and set aside on a plate. Reserve the excess flour.
- Heat half of the butter and sunflower oil in a large stew pot. Sear half of the dredged lamb. Remove from the heat and set aside, repeating with the remaining butter, oil and lamb.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan (you might need another splash of vegetable oil) and saute until browned. Scape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the remaining dredging flour.
- Return the seared lamb to the pot along with the lamb ribs, if using, the carrots, swede, lamb stock and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer gently for 45 minutes with the lid slightly off.
- To prepare the dumplings, place the flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the herbs and add the milk. Mix well. The batter will be thick and wet.
- Drop by the spoonful onto the top of the simmering lamb stew. Pop the lid on and cook for another 15 minutes.
Lamb Stew with Spices, Butternut Squash & Chestnuts
Lamb & Haggis Meatballs with a Whisky Cream Sauce
Leftover Roast Lamb & Winter Vegetable Soup
Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks with Vegetables & Gravy
Indian Tapas: Lamb, Pea & Potato Mini Samosas
Slow-Cooked Lamb Casserole with Broad Beans & Apricots
Ten-Minute Honey Ginger Lamb Stir-Fry
Grilled Lamb Kibbeh Kebabs
Slow-Roasted Rack of Lamb with a Creamy Mustard Tarragon Sauce
BBQ Lamb Leg Steaks in a Herb Marinade
Leftover Roast Lamb & Mint Sausage Rolls
Quick & Easy BBQ Lamb Skewers
15-Minute One-Pan Lamb & Quinoa Midweek Supper
Street Food: Brazilian-Style Lamb Kibe
Chilean-inspired Lamb Burgers with Pebre & Marraqueta Buns
Brazilian-inspired Lamb Feijoada with Mango Salsa
Slow Cooker Lamb Chilli with Pasilla Peppers
Argentine-inspired Lamb Chops with Chimichurri
Lamb Casserole with Ale
Slow-cooked Shetland Lamb Casserole with Creamy Herbed Polenta
Pastitsio – Greek Macaroni Pie
This is a commissioned recipe for Tasty, Easy Lamb. Thank you for supporting the brands who make it possible for me to do what I love: mess up my kitchen and share recipe stories!
Have you made this recipe?