Post commissioned by Galloway Cheddar – the family’s favourite Scottish cheddar!
Cheese on toast has to be one of the best comfort foods. Ooey gooey creamy melted hot cheese on crispy toast with a soft, fluffy interior – there is definitely a time and place when this meal is required.
Grilled cheese sandwiches were a regular part of my rural Canadian childhood, but it wasn’t until I moved to Scotland that I was introduced to the whole new wonderful world of cheese on toast. My first memories of it were after a night spent out in the pub with friends, where a rather inebriated host whipped us all up a batch under his gas grill and I was worried he’d burn the house down. I was introduced to Worcestershire sauce that night too.
What a glorious, hangover preventing middle-of-the-night feast that was! For years my grilled cheese sandwiches were replaced with this Worcestershire sauce sprinkled cheesy awesomeness.
That was until I had children of my own and I met the wonderful Jane.
Jane was a crofting, home educating mother of five children living on one of Scotland’s most remote islands: population 11. Her and I instantly became friends and, during a wild Christmas together, she taught me how to make the ultimate cheese on toast. The kind of cheese on toast that every child will love and ask for time and time again.
This cheese on toast recipe is still a firm family favourite of ours’ something which can be whipped up in no time on those days where after school clubs require children to be driven places and time is short.
The secret is to mix the grated cheese with milk, and allow the milk to soak into the cheese before sprinkling it over the top of lightly toasted home made bread. The bread has to be home made – none of this shop bought malarky!
Served dipped in a tomato based soup, this cheese on toast recipe is sure to please even the fussiest of eaters!
Galloway Cheddar, the family’s favourite Scottish cheddar, have a nation-wide on-pack promotional Magic Mealtime Moments campaign on at the moment running until the 16th of February 2015. Special packs of Galloway Cheddar offer £5 cash back to put towards your next family meal, and an instant-win prize to win one of 10,000 specially branded Galloway Cheddar serving ovenproof casserole dishes.
Our Family Favourite Cheese on Toast
- crispy bacon crumbled
- fresh ripe tomatoes
- chopped ham
- splash Worcestershire sauce
This recipe card may contain affiliate ingredient and equipment links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Thickly slice your home made bread. Shop bought will do, but it's not nearly as nice unless it's home made.
- Grate your Galloway cheddar cheese using the thick side of the grater. Mix with the milk until well combined and set aside for the cheese to soak up the milk.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high and place your bread on the rack. Lightly toast for a few minutes on both sides. You want the outside to be toasted and the inside to be soft and fluffy.
- Spread one side of each slice of toast with butter, and then evenly top with 1/4 of the cheese mixture.
- If you are using other toppings sprinkle them over the top of the buttered bread before putting the cheese on, unless it's Worcestershire sauce which you sprinkle on at the last minute.
- Pop back under the preheated grill until the cheese has melted, bubbly and begins to brown in patches.
- Cut into quarters and serve immediately!
If you want to be kept up to date on my recipes, occasional craft tutorials, adventure stories and giveaways then please subscribe to my weekly newsletter; it gets sent out every Monday morning if there is new content. Your email address won’t be passed on to anyone, you will never be spammed and you are free to unsubscribe at any time, no questions asked. Make sure you confirm your subscription or you won’t receive the newsletter – if it hasn’t arrived check your junk mail folder.
Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary received a supermarket gift card, a branded casserole dish and a cheese grater in return for this post. All opinions expressed are our own.