Ready in under 20 minutes, this is a deliciously quick & easy midweek dinner recipe. The original recipe comes from the home economics department in the Anderson High School, Shetland Islands and was demonstrated on stage by my teenage son at the Shetland Food Fair.
I’d also forgotten just how tasty this recipe is, and how quick and easy it is to make too; perfect for those midweek dinners. So simple even a teenage boy can make it in front of an audience!
The trick for making this recipe even easier is to prep everything in advance. Mix up the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and the sauce ingredients in another. Slice and chop all your veg too – I like to arrange mine in nice little bowls around my workspace, but you could just pop the onion, garlic and ginger in one bowl and all the rest of the veg in another before you start cooking.
Get your oil nice and hot too before you add the ingredients to the pan, and invest in a decent wok. I’ve been using the Ozeri Green Earth Wok for years for my stir-fries and it does the job nicely.
INGREDIENTS FOR THAI BEEF STIR FRY
- good quality beef – I used sliced minute steak from the Anderson Butchers
- soy sauces – I used Lee Kum Kee light soy sauce in the marinade and Premium dark soy sauce in the sauce (locals can find these in the foreign foods section of the Lerwick Tesco)
- beef stock – I used 1/4 of a Knorr Rich Beef Stock Pot
- oyster sauce – I used the Co-op brand
- cornflour – to thicken
- caster sugar – to sweeten
- chilli flakes
- vegetable oil – I used sunflower oil (but rapeseed would also work)
- fresh ginger root
- red onion
- red pepper
- mange tout
- noodles and fresh coriander, to serve
[amazon_link asins=’B01J1K9IUC,B00DJ5SZPA,B006R1UE52,B014G2LG1E,B00A47PX0G,B0177IQFCO,B016IP1GRG,B01BM9NGA8′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’elizskitcdiar-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’9b9c2b4c-b814-11e8-8d5d-fdefb43aa08f’]
HOW TO MAKE THAI BEEF STIR FRY
Step 1: Prepare the marinade and toss with the beef to coat well.
Step 2: Prepare the sauce ingredients and set aside. Prep all the vegetables.
Step 3: Heat oil in a wok over a medium-high heat. Stir-fry the onion, garlic and ginger.
Step 4: Add the beef with the marinade and stir-fry.
Step 5: Add the remaining vegetables and stir-fry.
Step 6: Add the sauce and stir-fry until thickened. Serve!
[amazon_link asins=’B01AOJTI90,B01HGOA5RA’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’elizskitcdiar-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’9e6abf55-b815-11e8-b40d-1320add155d8′]
A TASTE OF SHETLAND FESTIVAL 2018
The Shetland Food Fair is now run by a new group who have re-branded it as the Taste of Shetland festival. It features all that is wonderful about food and drink from the Shetland Islands and it’s THE yearly Shetland event not to be missed (in my humble opinion!).
There will be cookery demonstrations again this year, and although they’ve asked me to demonstrate on stage I’ve politely declined (I’m far too shy!) but my son might be making an appearance again this year on the cookery stage. Watch this space!
I like to serve my stir-fries with wholewheat noodles and plenty of fresh coriander sprinkled on the top. Sometimes I’ll finely slice a red chilli over the top too, for a little extra heat.
How do you jazz up your stir-frys? Let me know in the comments!
Quick & Easy Thai Beef Stir Fry
for the marinade
for the sauce
- 450 grams good quality beef cut into strips
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger root peeled and grated
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 4 mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 handful mange tout sliced
This recipe card may contain affiliate ingredient and equipment links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- First, prepare the marinade and add the meat, stirring to coat well. Set aside while you prep the sauce and vegetables.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the oil to a wok and heat over a medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger and onion and cook until the onion is softened.
- Add the beef together with the marinade and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables and stir-fry for a further minute or two.
- Add the sauce and heat until bubbling and thickened.
- Taste and season as required.
- Serve garnished with some fresh coriander on a bed of noodles.
PIN THIS THAI BEEF STIR FRY RECIPE FOR LATER!
Have you made this recipe?
This is not a paid post, although it does mention companies I have worked with in the past and product review samples. Links in orange and Amazon product links are affiliate links, which means if you click through and make any subsequent purchase from Amazon in the next 24 hours we will earn a small commission. Thank you for helping support our family!