In collaboration with Butterkist.
Crunchy, chewy, sweet and salty – this really is the ultimate Friday night movie night sharing snack. It’s so quick and easy to make that even the kids can help!
We’ve teamed up with Butterkist, the nation’s favourite popcorn brand, to jazz up a bag of their delicious Sweet Cinema Style Popcorn. When I was a child growing up in Canada, I had a terrible sweet tooth and fondness for toffee popcorn. I still do, if I am to be honest. This recipe is an adaptation of one my mother used to make at Halloween time. She’d make great big batches of this and bag them up to hand out to the trick or treaters.
This really is a quick and easy recipe to make. Simply preheat the oven to a low setting, heat the toffee ingredients in a pan and leave it alone for a few minutes while it bubbles and simmers. Pour it over the popped popcorn, arrange in a single layer on a baking tray and pop into the oven for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Add some roasted, salted peanuts for the final 15 minutes of cooking for a sweet and savoury snack that is oh so incredibly moreish!
If you don’t fancy making a mess in the kitchen you could always buy a ready made flavoured variety. Butterkist have a wide variety of flavours available from sweet to salted (or a combination of both if you can’t decide!) to some more extravagant creations like toffee, salted caramel or, their newest addition: choco mallow! True story – chocolate and marshmallow! I’ve tried it. It’s awesome. Keep an eye out for their different flavours in your local supermarket.
Do you like to jazz up popped popcorn? What’s your favourite recipe? Let me know in the comments! Check out the Butterkist recipe page for inspiration!
Toffee Popcorn with Peanuts
This recipe card may contain affiliate ingredient and equipment links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat oven to 120 C/ 250 F.
- Combine the butter, sugar, golden syrup and salt in a large, heavy based saucepan and bring to a boil over a medium high heat.
- Allow to boil for 3 to 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat, add the bicarbonate of soda and vanilla and stir well. Add the popcorn and stir to coat.
- Spread the toffee covered popcorn out in a single layer on a large baking sheet and bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Add the peanuts for the final 15 minutes of cooking.
- Will keep for a few days if stored in an airtight container (not the fridge!).
OTHER POPCORN RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Beet and Vanilla Candied Popcorn by Veggie Desserts
Celebration Popcorn by Casa Costello
Peanut Butter Popcorn Bark by The Crafty Larder
Toffee Apple Popcorn by Thinly Spread
Nutmeg Plantain Cake with Coconut Caramel Popcorn by Recipes from a Pantry
This is a commissioned recipe for Butterkist, although all thoughts and opinions expressed are our own. Thank you for supporting the brands who make it possible for me to do what I love: mess up my kitchen and share recipe stories.
Have you made this recipe?