Ready-made puff pastry and sun-dried tomato pesto pair with fresh mozzarella cheese for a quick & easy midweek supper or after-school snack ready in under 20 minutes. In collaboration with Sacla.
The kids go back to school tomorrow! Not that I’m counting down the hours or anything, but it’s tomorrow!! It’s been a rather fantastic (long) summer – this year the kids have had 7.5 weeks off from school, and even they are itching to get back to their friends and old routines.
Heading back to school means all the after school clubs start up again, and it’s back to the hectic schedule of getting everyone to where they need to be. No more leisurely mornings and evenings for us!
Sometimes, quick and easy mid-week supper recipes are needed; recipes like this sun-dried tomato pesto and mozzarella tarts recipe made with ready-made puff pastry and store-cupboard pesto.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THIS SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO & MOZZARELLA TART RECIPE
- ready-made puff pastry – life’s just too short to make this by hand. Look out for it in the chilled food section of your local supermarket.
- sun-dried tomato pesto – I use Sacla
- fresh mozzarella cheese – the proper stuff, not the hard mozzarella
- fresh basil leaves, to serve
- assorted toppings, if desired – optional, but we used black olives and diced chorizo, finishing off with a slice of tomato
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: Check on Amazon
HOW TO MAKE SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO & MOZZARELLA TARTS
Step 1: Preheat a baking tray in the oven and roll out your ready made puff pastry to 1/4 inch thick.
Step 2: Cut the puff pastry into 12 pieces.
Step 3: With a sharp knife, cut a line 1 cm away from the pastry edges, taking care not to cut through. Brush the edges with milk.
Step 4: Spoon a little sun-dried tomato pesto onto the centre of each pastry.
Step 5: top with your desired toppings.
Step 6: Bake in the centre of the oven for 12 minutes, or until golden. Serve with fresh basil leaves.
SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO & MOZZARELLA TARTS RECIPE VIDEO
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £22.00Was: £22.79
Price: £3.95Was: £4.99
The key ingredients in this recipe are ready-made sun-dried tomato pesto and ready-made puff pastry. You could go through all the bother of making your own pesto and puff pastry, but honestly, with the kids back at school and so much to do during the day – sometimes we want something quick and easy to make.
You could even use roasted aubergine pesto or roasted vegetable pesto for something a bit different. Jazz it up with your favourite toppings – we’ve added sliced black olives, chopped chorizo and a slice of yellow or red cherry tomatoes.
Italians love tomatoes so much that they affectionately call them ‘red gold’. The juicy ones used in this pesto have been dried for around seven days under the warm Italian sun to intensify their flavour. Did you know it takes 20 kg of fresh, ripe tomatoes to produce 1 kg of sun-dried tomatoes? The sun-dried tomatoes are then blended with fragrant Italian basil, Grana Padano cheese and pine nuts to make this delicious, versatile pesto that will lift your homemade pizza, fish fillets and Mediterranean vegetable tarts with the rich flavours and sunshine of Italy.
Look out for the Sacla range in your local supermarket, and don’t forget to enter our giveaway below!
Sun-dried Tomato Pesto & Mozzarella Tarts Recipe
- 425 grams ready made puff pastry
- 100 grams mozzarella cheese
- 12 tsp sun-dried tomato pesto
- milk to brush pastry edges
- fresh basil leaves to garnish
- assorted toppings optional (if desired)
- Preheat a baking tray in the centre of your oven at 220 C/ 200 C fan/ gas mark 7.
- Roll out your ready made puff pastry to a thickness of 1/4 inch and cut into 12 squares.
- Arrange the squares, evenly spaced, on a sheet of baking paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully score a line 1 cm around the edge of each pastry square, taking care not to cut all the way through. Brush the edges with a little milk.
- Spoon 1 teaspoonful of sun-dried tomato pesto onto the entre of each tart, top with your desired toppings and finish off with some mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 12 minutes or so on the pre-heated baking tray until the pastry is golden.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve.
Products from Amazon.co.uk
PIN THIS SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO & MOZZARELLA TARTS RECIPE FOR LATER!
SACLA PESTO GIVEAWAY
Sacla has kindly offered my UK readers the chance to win a Sacla Pesto Bundle & Recipe Book worth £20! To enter, simply fill out the Rafflecopter entry form below!
HOW TO ENTER
For your chance to win a Sacla Pesto Bundle & Recipe Book worth £20 enter using the Rafflecopter form below. Come back and tweet about the giveaway every day for more chances to win!
TERMS & CONDITIONS
This giveaway is open to UK entries only. Entrants must be age 18 or over. The winner will need to respond within 28 days of being contacted; failure to do this may result in another winner being selected.
The prize is offered and provided by Sacla. The prize is to win a Sacla Pesto Bundle & Recipe Book worth £20. There is no cash alternative and the prize is not transferable.
There is no entry fee and no purchase is necessary to enter this giveaway. The promoter (Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary) reserves the right to cancel or amend the giveaway and these terms and conditions without notice.
Entry into our giveaways will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
If you need some help using Rafflecopter, here’s a quick clip to show you how. Rafflecopter will pick the winner at random from all the entries received.
Closing date is midnight (that’s 00:00 hours, 12 am on Sunday night/Monday morning) on Monday 10 September 2018 (GMT) and the winner will be announced shortly afterwards.
Have you made this recipe?
This is a sponsored post for Sacla. Thank you for supporting the brands who make it possible for me to do what I love: mess up my kitchen and share recipe stories. This website is a member of the Amazon Associates LLP. If you visit Amazon through any of the product links we have provided and make any subsequent purchase in the next 24 hours we will earn a small commission.