Homemade vegan bean burgers are so much nicer than the ones you buy frozen and they are so much fun to make too. Your whole family will love these. Serve them in toasted burger buns with your favourite salad and toppings. Recipe from Living on the Veg, reproduced with permission.
I am so excited to share this recipe with you! These 10-minute vegan bean burgers are super quick and easy to make from store-cupboard ingredients – tinned kidney beans, black beans, herbs and spices and a handful of porridge oats.
Truth be told, my experience with homemade vegetarian burgers has been rather hit or miss (mostly miss) so when I was sent a review copy of Living on the Veg – A Kids’ Guide to Life Without Meat, I knew I had to try these burgers.
This really is a ten-minute recipe, just plonk the ingredients into a bowl, mix well, form into patties and cook. The mixture is rather dry, I found, but this is balanced by serving the vegan bean burgers with something soft and creamy like slices of avocado or your favourite vegan mayonnaise.
The burgers do hold their shape fairly well when eating too as they’re not too mushy. I tried both frying and baking them, as the recipe suggests, and I found the fried ones looked and tasted better – the little bit of oil used helps with the texture and visual appeal.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THESE 10-MINUTE VEGAN BEAN BURGERS
- tinned kidney beans
- tinned black beans – I used dried and left them to soak overnight, cooking them in the morning until tender.
- ground cumin – I used whole seeds which I toasted and ground for extra flavour
- ground coriander
- chilli powder
- porridge oats
- fresh coriander leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil – to cook
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: Check on Amazon
HOW TO MAKE THESE 10-MINUTE VEGAN BEAN BURGERS – STEP-BY-STEP TUTORIAL
Step 1: rinse the beans in a colander and set aside a quarter of them in a small bowl.
Step 2: pour the rest of the beans into a large bowl and mash with a potato masher until they form a paste.
Step 3: add the herbs, spices, oats and reserved whole beans to the mixture.
Step 4: mix well with a spoon until well combined.
Step 5: shape the mixture into balls using your hands and then squash them into burger shapes.
Step 6: fry on each side for a few minutes in a little olive oil (or bake in a hot oven).
LIVING ON THE VEG – A KIDS’ GUIDE TO LIFE WITHOUT MEAT
Living on the Veg is the first book by Scottish vegetarian food blogger Jacqueline Meldrum. She’s been a vegetarian for over 25 years now and writes a very popular vegetarian food blog called Tinned Tomatoes. Her blog name is a reference to the fact that when she first became vegetarian she most of her limited range of recipes started with tinned tomatoes. She set up the blog to force herself to get more creative with her cooking, and her blog name is a reminder to herself to be more adventurous. Now, her blog contains over 600 vegan and vegetarian recipes that don’t always start with a tin of tomatoes (some do though!).
For this book, Jacqueline teamed up with children’s author Clive Gifford to create a fun and inspiring introduction to vegetarianism aimed at children age 9-11.
Clive wrote all the facts, history and tips for Living on the Veg, while Jacqueline contributed 12 vegetarian recipes, including these 10-minute vegan bean burgers which are her family’s favourite burger recipe.
Living on the Veg is fun and colourful, the kind of book that children could dip and out of at their leisure. It provides very passionate reasons why the authors think people might choose to live without meat and tips for winning over family members about the new lifestyle choice. It also touches upon nutrition information and how to understand food labels. For any child considering going vegetarian, this book will definitely convince them to take that final step and do so.
This hardcover book, published by Wayland Books, retails for £12.99 and is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.
OTHER BLOG POSTS FEATURING LIVING ON THE VEG RECIPES & REVIEWS
- Emily over at A Mummy Too has reproduced Jacqueline’s Quick Green Pasta Sauce recipe. Made in a food processor with avocado, peas, spinach and cheese it’s ready to eat in under 15 minutes!
- watch this space – more recipes are coming!
10-Minute Vegan Bean Burgers
- 800 grams tinned kidney beans
- 400 grams tinned black beans
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli powder more if you really want a kick
- 90 grams porridge oats
- 1 handful coriander leaves chopped
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil to fry
- Rinse the beans in a colander and set aside a quarter of them in a bowl to add later, then pour the rest into a large bowl.
- Mash the beans with a potato masher until you have a paste then add the herbs, spices, oats and whole beans to the bowl and mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Shape the mixture into 6-8 balls using your hands and then squash them into burger shapes.
- These are now ready to cook. Heat a frying pan with a little olive oil and fry each side for a few minutes until crisp and starting to brown. You could also bake these on a baking tray in a hot oven for 20-25 minutes.
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £9.57Was: £12.99
Have you made this recipe?
Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary was sent a complimentary review copy of Living on the Veg. This is not a paid post and all thoughts and opinions expressed are our own. Recipe reproduced with permission.