Preheat oven to a moderate heat 190 C/ 170 fan and lightly butter a bread tin. Alternatively, place paper baking cases into a 12 hole muffin tin.
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well.
Stir in the mashed bananas, sift over the flour and bicarbonate of soda and combine well with a wooden spoon.
If using any of the variations listed below, fold in your extra ingredients now.
Spoon into the prepared tin or paper cases and bake for 50-60 minutes (for the loaf) or 25-30 minutes for the cupcakes.
Leave to cool for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Stores well in an airtight container for several days and it freezes well too.
• Replace 15 grams of the plain flour with some wheat germ for some extra fibre.
• Stir in 75 grams dried fruit such as raisins, sultanas, apricots, apples, dried star fruit or even dried bananas
• Stir in 50 grams of chopped nuts (walnuts are good)
• Add a handful of cracked flax seed for extra fibre
• Make it vegan by replacing the egg with flax gel (simmer 2 cups of water with 2 tbsp flax seed for 10-20 minutes. Strain and discard the seeds. Use 1/2 cup of the gel to replace the egg in this recipe.) and replacing the butter with fruit butter (ie: Suma pear & apple spread).
• Sprinkle the top with ground hazelnuts or almonds before baking. This makes a nice crumbling topping.
• Stir in 50 grams of coarsely chopped dark chocolate.
Mum of three, daydream adventurer, OU Life Sciences graduate, occasional crafter, ex-pat Canadian & quite possibly Britain's most northerly food blogger.