Last month saw my eldest son turn 14. Surely I am not old enough to have a 14 year old child?! Where has the time gone? To celebrate he invited some friends over for an overnight and I made this whopping three tiered chocolate cake with the Lékué 3 Tier Surprise cake mould I’d been sent to review.
This cake mould is superb! It’s small enough that you can fit all three moulds on a single baking tray, but large enough so you get the impressive novelty effect of having a three tiered cake. The top mould is about the size of a very large cupcake, so it’s a great indulgent size for the birthday boy/girl.
Made from non-stick silicone, the moulds are oven, microwave, freezer and dishwasher safe and they come with a 10 year guarantee. The three moulds can hold a total 2000 ml of cake batter, so I scaled up my usual chocolate cake recipe to fit and I’ve shared it below.
Lékué suggest you could use this cake mould to make a hollow surprise cake made only out of chocolate. Simply melt 800 grams of dark chocolate and paint the walls and base of the mould with layers of chocolate and leave to harden. Gifts and sweets could be hidden inside the hollow chocolate shell for a novel birthday surprise!
The cake moulds come in a handy cardboard storage box along with a colourful cardboard cake base, cut out glasses, lips and moustaches, some recipe ideas and some handy party tips. Everything you need for a crackin’ birthday cake in one box!
To decorate my son’s cake I used the Lékué Decomat Kids kit. This kit comes with a 100% platinum silicone mat and four stencils. It does not, however, come with the Decopen you need to write on the mat in melted chocolate. I bought this item separately myself from our local department store and I love it! I wasn’t particularly impressed with the designs on the templates, but the mat itself in combination with the Decopen means any sort of design could be made from chocolate. Simply draw your design on the mat, leave to harden, peel off and pop on your cake/dessert! I am going to have a lot of fun with this!
Please note: it’s easier to keep the chocolate shapes in the fridge until you need them, as they warm and soften at room temperature. White chocolate especially doesn’t last very long, I discovered.
Lékué have sent me an extra Surprise Cake Mould set to give away to one of my lucky readers! To be in for a chance at winning simply fill in Rafflecopter entry form below. UK entries only please.
Three Tier Chocolate Birthday Cake
For the Chocolate Cake
- 415 grams plain flour sifted
- 2 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 260 grams caster sugar
- 225 grams dark muscovado sugar
- 340 ml water
- 90 grams cocoa powder
- 175 grams unsalted butter
- 1.5 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- 225 ml single cream
- 3 eggs beaten
- 200 grams white chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Frosting
- 250 grams unsalted butter
- 800 grams icing sugar sieved
- 8 tbsp full fat milk
- 60 grams cocoa powder
For the Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 190 C. Lightly grease the Lekue cake moulds and set aside on a single baking tray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate or soda and sugars.
- Combine water, cocoa powder and butter together in a medium sized saucepan and heat until melted. Do not allow to boil.
- Mix vinegar and vanilla with the single cream.
- Beat chocolate mixture, cream mixture and beaten eggs into the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips and spoon the mixture into each cake mould until each is 2/3 full.
- Bake on a single tray in the centre of the oven for 30-35 minutes and then remove the smallest top tier. Return the rest of the cakes to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave the cakes in their moulds until cold and then frost.
For the Chocolate Frosting
- Beat softened butter, icing sugar, milk and cocoa powder together until the frosting reaches the desired consistency.
Lékué 3 Tier Surprise Cake Mould Giveaway
How to Enter
For your chance to win one Lékué 3 Tier Surprise Cake Mould set enter using the Rafflecopter form below. Come back and tweet about the giveaway every day for more chances to win!
Terms & Conditions
This giveaway is open to UK entries only. Entrants must be age 18 or over. The winner will need to respond within 48 hours of being contacted; failure to do this may result in another winner being selected.
The prize is offered and provided by Lékué. The prize is one Lékué 3 Tier Surprise Cake Mould set There is no cash alternative and the prize is not transferable.
If you need some help using Rafflecopter, here’s a quick clip to show you how. Rafflecopter will pick the winner at random from all the entries received. I will be verifying entries and any automated entries will be disqualified.
Closing date is midnight on Monday 30 June 2014 and one winner will be announced that day.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary was sent a selection of items from Lekue for review. All opinions expressed are our own. This is not a paid post.