Did you know that this week, from the 4-11 March 2019, is the official SPAM®Appreciation Week?
Since 1941 SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham have been bringing Sizzle Pork And Mmm™ to any meal. To celebrate SPAM® Appreciation Week we’ve used SPAM® in one of its most popular ways – in a camping meal!
SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham tins don’t need refrigeration, and they’re super portable too making them perfect for quick and easy camping and backpacking meals.
Ingredients needed for Sizzling Camping SPAM® & Eggs
- SPAM® Chopped Pork & Ham – a 340-gram tin if you’re serving a crowd, or a 200-gram carton if it’s just a few of you
- double cream – don’t forget to support your local dairy!
- free range eggs
This is a remarkably easy recipe to make, and you only need one pan! To save up on washing you could even eat it straight out of the frying pan.
How to Make Sizzling Camping SPAM® & Eggs
- Heat your frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Cut your SPAM® Chopped Pork & Ham into small pieces straight onto the frying pan.
- Fry the SPAM® Chopped Pork & Ham until browned and sizzling.
- Pour over the double cream.
- Crack your eggs straight into the pan.
- Stir and gently cook until the eggs and cream have scrambled. Serve immediately.
SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham
SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham came to our UK kitchens in 1941 during the war as an alternative to corned beef. It rose quickly in popularity, selling its one billionth can in the 1950s. In the 1960s SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham fritters regularly appeared on British school menus.
This iconic product is originally from the US when, in 1937, the Hormel Food Company of Minnesota dealt with a problem they had of too much pork shoulder. The idea to grind the pork shoulder and mix it with ham, cooking it in a tin to create a long life product was born, and now, over 80 years later, it’s still going strong!
An incredibly versatile ingredient, SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham is made from a minimum of 90% shoulder pork and leg ham. The 200g tub is currently available in the UK from Tesco and Asda while 200g and 340g cans are available from all major UK supermarkets.
[amazon_link asins=’B003CO11Z4,B01AZOMP80,B015Q9GOCM’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’elizskitcdiar-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’b4d9546b-1546-4cad-a0c1-7cbfa3529b94′]
Visit the SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham website for more recipe inspiration!
Weight Watchers Points in this Sizzling SPAM® & Eggs Recipe
There are 16 Smart Points per serving of this recipe.
Three Ingredient Sizzling SPAM® & Eggs for Camping
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Cut your SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham into small pieces straight into the hot frying pan.
- Fry the SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham until browned and sizzling.
- Pour the double cream into the pan (don't stir yet!).
- Crack in each of the eggs. Stir and scramble until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Serve immediately!